Tuesday, March 22, 2011

10 Years and Counting.

I've been writing full time for ten years now. I wrote in my teens, raised 6 kids ( one of whom has autism - *read Heavenly* ) and then took to writing again.
It seems everyone has a book inside of them. Just the other day on Twitter somebody tweeted "Is anybody else feeling overwhelmed by the sheer amount of YA authors out there?"

It's easy to think you'll never find your place. You have to make your place. Always write because you love it first. Create the stories in your heart and there will always be an element of satisfaction to your work. Writing isn't easy, but the process smooths out the more you do it and settle into your groove.

The more I write, the more I create a place for myself in the world of books, the more it becomes clear to me that focusing on WHY I do this is the key to my daily joy. Yes, making a place for myself requires a certain amount of interacting with everything writerly that's out there. But I don't need to inhale it.

For me, writing comes first. Determination to share with others comes second and everything else I do to support those necessities (i.e. reading, blogging, marketing) has to be carefully weighed in because time is precious.

Where will I be 10 years from now? I've written 14 books in 10 years ( 3 are unpublished ) I have no plans to slow down my writing rate, so I hope that means I'll have another 14 or more books out there. It's not about numbers,I've written long enough to know my groove, know what works for me as far as production goes and so I can see down the road.

It's exciting to share stories with the world. If writing and sharing stories is your dream, keep at it. Create your path. There's no better time than now to make your place.

J.

17 comments:

Chicki said...

I've written nine in ten years, but wasted years trying to go sell to New York. Now that I've chosen the electronic route, I'm revising those manuscripts (except the first two, which were really bad) and uploading to Kindle/Nook every four-5 months.

Also getting ready to start a series about five brothers, so that's another five books. Yippee!

Karen Wasylowski said...

I wrote for myself for four years, for my sanity. I love humor and making people laugh so I would write and call my husband in and he'd laugh. Great sound. Then he got ill and we were scared. I stopped. When he got his clean bill of health I thought - what the hell. I sent my 'book' into a publisher. Sixteen months later it was published. Darcy and Fitzwilliam. I feel a bit of guilt because I did no big suffering, no starving artist. BUT, I do know it's important to laugh, every day. Very important. Thanks for this blog.

jenniferlaurens said...

That's exciting, Chickie. I'm so glad you're doing what you're doing now. If anyone asked me, I'd point them in the electronic direction. It's the way publishing's going and is certainly the easiest way to get your feet wet.

jenniferlaurens said...

We're all moved to take action by different things, Karen. It's just FABULOUS that you're writing again and having success! Great news!

Valia Lind said...

Awe Congrats on the ten years! Thats amazing! And thanks for this Jennifer! Its such an encouragement to us young writers :-)

Mindy fangedmom said...

YOU are made of AWESOMESAUCE Jennifer! I love your books & I love your writing. You blew me away with your Heavenly series *still hoping for book #* Thank you for doing what you so well!!!

jenniferlaurens said...

Mindy and Valia: :)

Liz. R said...

I'm glad you write, because that means that we can read! I'm not much of a writer myself, but I appreciate how difficult it is. So thanks for persevering - I hope you write a hundred more books! :)

andii* said...

wow!
this post is great!
you were really inspired :D
thanks for sharing it!

Christine Fonseca said...

I just love this. That is all!

Michelle @ The True Book Addict said...

Thanks so much for your encouraging words, Jennifer. We aspiring authors sometimes feel a bit overwhelmed, but like you said, we can't lose sight of "why" we write.

C.J Duggan said...

Congrats Jennifer! I really love your voice! Your passion is an inspiration to all us Aspiring Authors!
"You have to make your place' I so get that! Thanks for sharing, here's to the next 10 and beyond!!

C.J
http://can-duu.blogspot.com/

Dawn said...

Congrats on ten years, Jennifer. And all your successes.

Kristi The Book Faery said...

I had a plan but it kind of went to pieces when I became severely ill with a rare Central Nervous System disease. It's funny (not ha ha) that you think life will keep going as it is and all your dreams that are just within your grasp will be easily reached because you've worked so hard to get there but then... BAM!

Everything I worked so hard for changed overnight, almost literally. It's difficult to adapt but what choice to you have. So, the question of where will you be (or where will I be) in ten years has really taken on a different meaning.
Thanks for sharing the insightful and meaningful post. It's inspiring and for me, it's in a different venue but again, it's inspiring none the less! I love to hear the optimism and passion that you have and also the way you share it with others.
Thank you!

Katrina W said...

Oh Jen,,, You are truly an inspiration to us all. I am only a reader not a writer but you work never ends to surprise me :) I enjoy it all, I hope for my sake ** selfish ** as I am lol that you have more than ten happy years left of writing and Its nice to know you have your life ahead invisaged, Honestly I dont even know what I have planned past next month. DO what keeps you happy, with your buzy life and family Im glad that you still find the time to do waht you love, love whom you love and find that medium to continue.. :) love always kat ;)

Fickle Cattle said...

Very inspiring. As someone who's trying very hard to juggle the demands of daily life and writing regularly, this was a good wake up call.

http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

jennsdaisypatch said...

great blog. Love you....always....your biggest fan

Post a Comment