Thursday, September 8, 2011

Pain, Sweat and Blood ; My next book.

That's what it feels like I'm giving to this project. The hardest book to write to date. ABSOLUTION had that honor until I started this thing. I've asked myself WHY it's A) so difficult B) taking so long to write. Usually, I'm the three month kid. I'll be lucky to have this wrapped by the end of this year for publication next year at this rate.

Stories are always personal for me - that's probably why this one has been difficult. It's not that the subject is difficult, it's that I tend to write the tone of my life into my work and right now my life is dark.

Used to be writing was a lovely respite for me. But the muse suffers when I suffer. I'm stretching myself by fighting to keep the muse alive so I can keep going. I hope this will make me a tougher mother, wife, friend and author. Who knows.

I'm dying to be done with this project, though. There's a point in every creative process where you're JUST DONE WITH IT. I've written this particular story twice already: years ago as a women's romance and before that as a screenplay.

Writing it now for my YA readers is a fascinating and wonderful trip. I'm loving the changes and the genre fits the story so well the old versions are fading from my thoughts. ( A fight! The characters, stubborn as they were, refused to change! )

Time for me to be disciplined and get back to work.The weekend is almost here and the fam and I are going to the Utah State Fair - our yearly tradition. Wish you could come along - it's an amazing day of sights, scents and fantastic eats!

Jennifer

5 comments:

Kerry-Ann McDade said...

Good-luck with the rest of your writing process! All your hard work will go into something truly amazing which everyone will appreciate and love. :) Hope you have a good time at the Utah State Fair :) xx

Chris said...

I hope you have a breakthrough and your struggle to write your current book will ease.

Have fun at the State Fair! We have lived in Utah for 5 years now and still haven't made a trip to the state fair..funny, I know

Angela J. Prieto said...

Good luck with finishing your book, I can't wait to read it.

Loucos Por Livros! said...

Jenn, I hope you can finish this book. I think it is going to be awsome and so sexy. HAUHAU. And say 'hi' to James. I still in love with him. :) I hope you enjoy State Fair. :)
I love you so much! And i miss you!
Kisses

Ana Carolina
http://loucospor-livros.blogspot.com

Jena said...

Good luck with it!! I can't wait to hear more about it :) :)

Post a Comment