Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Things You Didn't Know About A Season of Eden


A SEASON OF EDEN IS FREE the 9th and 10th of July on Amazon. For Kindle/App. Here.


1. I get more requests for a sequel to Eden than I do any other book. Heavenly comes in second.

2. I grew up in Palos Verdes Estates, California - a beautiful peninsula oasis just outside of Los Angeles where the book takes place. I attended Palos Verdes Prep, Eden's school is modeled after my high school, Palos Verdes High School.

3. I had a crush on a teacher while I was a student there, but he wasn't my music teacher. And that incident was not the inspiration for the book.

4. Like Eden, I am an only child.

5. I would love to write a musical play from the book, with great music, ( preferably using a retro artist whose music already exists, with songs that are 'covered and updated'. Lots of preps and jocks, the stage full of the enthusiasm of high school artsy types.

6. My daughter's friend ( a college music major ) read the book and asked me if he could make a movie of the story. Of course I said yes! Listening to my dialog from the mouths of actors was a very cool experience.

7. I favor 'open endings' like the ending in Eden. I believe a reader will interpret what happens next to James and Eden based on her reading experience.

8. I wrote the book in a matter of weeks. To date, it's been the book with the most ease of creative flow I've written.

9. Some readers think the topic of student/teacher love is controversial and a no-no. I wanted to show a relationship that challenged, and student/teacher crushes happen. They happen whether we like it or agree with them or not. James and Eden stand on the razor's edge of this relationship with their close ages: she's 18, he's 21. Like Eden says, "If we'd met in a club, it would be legal." ( or something to that nature )

10. Does this ever happen in real life and end with a happy ending? My mother in law married my father in law - he taught at her high school. ( Though I must add they didn't date until after she graduated )

Jennifer

0 comments:

Post a Comment