Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ruby. Review.


So I often pick up whatever Oprah has on her book list because I usually LIKE what she suggests. Ruby by Cynthia Bond started out with a writer's dream page: beautiful, lush writing unfolding the start of what seems a promising story.

But as I continued reading, the scenes literally DRAGGED on through too many unnecessary details that became tedious rather than lending themselves to the moment ( moments that stretched into what seemed like hours describing how a recipe was made, a chair was sat upon, light coming in a window.) Enough already. I've read enough overwritten books to know one when I start wading through one. I don't have the patience or time.

I appreciate and can enjoy ( as I thought I would with Ruby ) well written prose. But this was beyond flowery. This was a patch so dense you couldn't catch any one scent and enjoy it - so overpowered by perfume, if you get my 'drift'.

I read 3 chapters of Ruby and put it aside.

My opinion, of course, and every reader is entitled to their own. ( Alas: Read and let read )

It's hard to find a good read these days. Even with Oprah as a 'filter'.


Read and let read ~

Jennifer

0 comments:

Post a Comment